Lots of recipes claim they can be cooked in 20 minutes or less. Some nights are so busy, even that’s too long. “Surviving Dinner” is a series that is not about good wifeing, mothering, or cooking. It’s about surviving. It’s for those nights when you’re tempted to write “fast food” on the menu, but cooking at home will save you a few dollars, a few hundred calories, and loads of mommy-guilt. Recipes found here can be cooked quickly and have minimal prep and clean-up. Some may require a little pre-planning, but many won’t.
These are delicious – better than take-out! And healthier, of course. But seriously…you could probably charge money for them.
- Toasted Sandwiches
- Pretzels, chips, fruit, veggies…whatever’s easy!
- loaf of French bread
- deli turkey
- deli cheese
- shredded lettuce
- sliced red onions
- sliced tomatoes
- ranch dressing
- italian dressing
1. Cut French bread to desired sandwich length, and then slice into two sandwich halves. Place sandwich halves open-face on a baking sheet.
2. On the bottom half of the sandwich, stack ingredients in the following order: turkey, tomato, ranch dressing, and cheese. Seriously, the order is important. Don’t screw it up.
3. On the top half of the sandwich, place the following ingredients: red onions & italian dressing.
4. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted and begins to brown, this should only take a couple of minutes.
5. Add shredded lettuce and reunite the top & bottom halves of the sandwich.
6. Refrain from charging your dinner patrons $7 per person, tempting as it may be. Enjoy! 😉