Lots of recipes claim they can be cooked in 20 minutes or less. Some nights are so busy, even that’s too long. “Surviving Dinner” is a series that is not about good wifeing, mothering, or cooking. It’s about surviving. It’s for those nights when you’re tempted to write “fast food” on the menu, but cooking at home will save you a few dollars, a few hundred calories, and loads of mommy-guilt. Recipes found here can be cooked quickly and have minimal prep and clean-up. Some may require a little pre-planning, but many won’t.
There are a few options you have here. You can do a super-quick, meat-free, microwave-only version of these tostadas OR you could spend a few extra minutes and include some ground beef. Then pile ’em high with toppings! I buy the pre-shredded lettuce and cheese to minimize my work.
- Tostada shells
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/2 C. salsa
- 1 lb. ground beef (optional)
- 3 T taco seasoning (optional) + 3/4 C water
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomatoes
- avocado, olives, or any other toppings
1. Preaheat oven and cook tostada shells per package directions. [I just put mine directly on the oven racks so I don’t have to deal with a baking sheet.]
2. [If you are using ground beef] Brown ground beef. Add taco seasoning and water.
3. Stir in refried beans and salsa. Heat through. [If you’re making the meat-free version, you can just nuke these two things in a pyrex and you’re done.]
4. Assemble tostadas.
Wondering what I’m doing here? Learn more about the idea behind Surviving Dinner.